Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Natural History Museum & Narnia World Premiere

And overnight, London is transformed.
You can't actually tell from my photos today, but it was actually snowing at the time.

Maybe I should wish for things on the blog more often! I woke up this morning and, lo and behold, I found snow falling from the sky. It was quite beautiful. I was eager to go out and start my day. It was freezing. I need to buy a hat. Like, yesterday.

But out I went anyway. I started at the Natural History Museum. My favorite galleries there are the Dinosaurs, and all of the geological stuff (the rock collections, the volcano exhibit, the giant escalator.

Yes, I've been there before (hello, Dinosaurs!) but I had never stopped and admired the architecture of the place. The Earth Galleries have always been fascinating, I admit, but I really stopped this time to look at the production value of the exhibits. And the grand entrance hall? Yes, It looks amazing at first glance (and has a giant apatosaurus in the center)
but the detail is really quite remarkable. If you look closely at the arches, there are small monkeys climbing on them. The painting on the ceilings depict different plants and label with their scientific names.
Truly quite amazing. After NHM, I confess I bought a book about the history of shoes from the V&A bookstore. Next stop: Leicester Square to get a discount ticket to see The Rivals at the Theatre Royal Haymarket.

As I passed the square, in possession of my 1/2 price ticket for the 7:30 showing, it looked like they were setting up for a big event. The Odeon Theatre chain (ugh) has a huge complex there, and it turns out that is where all the movie premieres happen. Turns out tonight was the Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader World Premiere. I got some great shots of them setting up--I tell you, I did not envy the crew climbing truss in the snow to focus lights, nor the crew setting up the platforms and rolling out the red carpet.

Pretty cool, but I went home to warm myself up before going out again in the evening for the show. So I go back to Picadilly Circus at 6:30, and fortunately I am early for the play. So I decided to hop on over to the premiere in Leicester Square, thinking with security, crowds, and everything I wasn't going to get anywhere near it. Well, the security guys were really nice. And there was no one there. I mean, only a few hundred people...and did I mention the Queen was supposed to be going to the show? It was really that cold.

So I walked around for a little while, kicking myself for, once again, not bringing my camera. The lighting inside the event area was amazing--it reminded me of the Disneyland fireworks show/Christmas parade, especially where they have all the fake snow come down on main street. Except this time, the snow was real. It looked gorgeous in the light. If only I could feel my ears.

I made it close to the red carpet and that's when the nice guard told me the queen was due within 20 minutes. I had 1/2 hour before the show started. Yikes. So I waited around, thinking maybe I could catch a glimpse (2 royals in 2 weeks? Would be epic...) but as time wore on, more people pushed in front of me, and I worried about not making curtain, and would not miss the first act again.

I was about to leave. But just before I did, I caught a glimpse of the guys who plays Edmond,  X Factor contestants One Direction and Rebecca Ferguson, and best of all...Simon Pegg! He looks quite dapper in a tux (I really do want to see Burke and Hare, ps)
After that, I ran over to the theatre, made it in time, and saw Peter Hall's damn fine production. Expect a review tomorrow.

Stay warm, everyone.
xoxo
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment