Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Four Months Later...

...Ok so I've been bad.


It's been 4 months since I returned permanently to the US of A and not a peep. 4 months is a long time. I turned 24. I've had 4 new employers. War Horse swept the Tonys (I told you guys to go see it, didn't I?)

Initially, the reason I never blogged was basically because I thought my life would be too boring after my travels. Frankly, I never ended up getting round to it because, well, I was too busy. Life's a funny thing--it doesn't really ever get boring. No matter what, it's still an adventure.

I can hear your collective groan in my mind already. It's cheesy, I know. But that doesn't mean it's not true. And I never said all the adventures were fun. So I write now more for myself than for the benefit of others. It's nice to get it all out there, organized and accomplished looking. Like a new addition to the portfolio after an incredibly trying show (oh, yeah, I had one of those, too).

So here it is, without much ado, Antonia's life back in California....and back in the theater:


When I left for London I really did think I would be able to stay there permanently. I was naive to think my passport and citizenship would be so easy to gain, although the government could have taken less time than the 8 months it took for them to tell me. Nevertheless, I was incredibly glad that I went. Also incredibly lucky to have some money left over to go to Korea and Japan. I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.

But when I was there, I wasn't sure if I'd be sticking to theater. You see, for me the idea of being fully independent and self-sufficient is important. It's just as important to me as my career. So I was keen to take any job I could to live, and see where it took me. Theater skills are marketable, believe it or not.

When I returned, again I thought I might take a different path. Like I said, being self-sufficient was a goal, and an unemployed theater designer crashing in her father's spare bedroom is not very ambitious.
But I do live there. And I'm grateful even though I wish I could afford my own place. Soon, I think, with the money I've saved. I also drive a sweet little Echo. That one is thanks to my mom, who is wonderful. At least I can afford the gas, insurance, and upkeep on it. Small victories.

Oh, right. I guess I should get to the part about work. Well, I can't believe it myself, but I've been working in the theater non-stop since the week after my return from Korea. That's been 4 solid months of employment. There were days, back in high school and college, where I pondered at what age I would be able to make a living working solely in theater. And I guess I have been.

First I was swept up into the magical world of Narnia with assisting Chelsea White at the Berkeley Playhouse...
Her work was absolutely fabulous.

Next I traveled (trying to get to other places) in Russia for Anton Chekov's Three Sisters. I stitched with a fabulous crew and made some great new friends at Berkeley Repertory Theater. Susie Medak and I found out we were car twins.

Next I traveled back in time to Mission San Jose, 1847 for Arclight Repertory Theater's production of "Much Ado About Nothing." As costume designer, I learned new ways to beg, borrow, and steal. No, not really steal. But build. And try to stay sane. And make period dresses and military uniforms come to life on a small small budget.

And though the quality of these photos is not good, I like to think that the costumes were pretty awesome. I guess I wasn't that rusty after a whole year not designing.

Finally, I am spending my summer working under Naomi in the costume shop at CalShakes. I'm also making new friends and with familiar faces, like Chelsea and William. Titus was a huge show, but it's up and now I'm really looking forward both to the work on The Verona Project, as well as seeing the show! The designer, Melissa Torchia, is really amazing and showcasing at the Prague Quadrennial this year.

Check out her designs here

In the end, the past few months have been pretty tiring, but great experience. Right now I'm a regular commuter with a regular 9-5 job. But I like my work. I'm actually the most happy about the expanded family of theater practitioners and costumers I have found along the way. We have fun. We stress. It's like college. Only we get paid.

I'm not sure what the future holds. I am sure, however, that I'll be spending a lot of time on a really fun wedding at the end of the summer! (Yay to Kim and Travis!) Beyond that, it's still up in the air. Just like it was when I traveled. Just like it was when I knew I had to come home. What do I have from all of this? Right now, in the midst of things, it doesn't seem like much to me. But I do have a lot of memories. A lot more experience. And an attitude that says "I don't know what's coming next. But I'm okay with it."

This post isn't an epilogue to my blog. I'm not sure exactly when I'll update, or how often. But I'm happy to write it, even if it's only just for me. But to share my experiences with others--that means a lot too.

xoxo,
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment