Tuesday, December 7, 2010

East London 2.0...and warding off a cold.

Tissues? Check.
Emergen-C? Check.
Amy's Vegetable Pot Pie, Fresh fruits, Ramen, and Hula Hoops? Check.

Everything I need to stay holed up in bed for the next two days and try and rid of this cold A-S-A-P! I've got the "Elf" soundtrack on Spotify, my portfolio spread out around me, Psych, and an Agatha Christie novel to keep me occupied.

You know, its a wonder this didn't happen earlier--big new city, cold weather, the stress of travel. Its only after I  become aware of the fact that "I can't get sick now!" that it actually happens. Not that its bad. right now, it's exhaustion and an irritated throat. I figure if I'm good and keep it low-key, I'll be rid of it by the time my company arrives this weekend! In fact, we have so much adventuring to do, I will make myself get better.

Living in a big city has its ups and downs. There are days when it hurts walking down the icy street, getting bumped and jostled by prams, pushy salesman, and generally annoying big crowds. There are days when trying to get what you need seems like a huge chore, and the salespeople are grumpy and unhelpful. But there are also days when people are really friendly. There are Londoners who smile and ask you where you're from. There are days when the city is so beautiful, even in the cold, gloomy winter, that it makes you happy to be here.

On Saturday I went to "A Flea in Her Ear," which I promise to review tomorrow. So far, it's the best show I've seen in London (though I have quite a line-up for next week!). Sunday I went back to East London. I have a theory--it takes more than one trip to a location in order to fully appreciate it. My first trip to Brick Lane and Spitafields did not yield much--in fact, I didn't know what all the hype was about. Well, it just so happens the weekends are much more exciting. And it helps when you turn the right direction down Brick Lane, too.

Francesca recommended this great place to get my hair cut called VISION. I have to admit, I am normally the kind of girl who gets the cheap haircut at Great Clips--and only twice a year. But everyone once in a while I need something special. Now, London is expensive, but you can get a cut for 35 pounds at Vision, and let me tell you, it's a steal!
The place is super trendy, set on a side street off Brick Lane with many hip boutiques next door (down the street--sample sales, Vintage Markets, outdoor BBQ, and "it" up-and-coming designer shops). When you arrive, you are greeted by the receptionist, they take your coat, and you are then introduced to your stylist. After talking through your cut with them, they hand you off to their assistant, who does the washing and gives you a relaxing scalp massage. You are offered a cup of tea or coffee while you wait for your stylist to come back. I had this really nice guy named Ashley. Effortless conversation, really knowledgeable, and took his time getting the cut just right, with a full blow-dry/style. It was probably the greatest pampering experience I've Kim and I got mani/pedis in Monterey with free champagne!
After that, I popped into Absolute Vintage--which is a paradise for anyone who loves vintage shoes and bags! Rows upon rows of everything you could ever want. Reasonably priced too! I also checked out Spitafields again, which had more than just the generic stalls with 'one-size-fits-all dresses'--there were local artists and craftspeople. I am definitely going there again this Sunday.

Well, I think it's time for a nap. Hope finals are treating everyone well!
xoxozzzzz,
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment