Thursday, May 10, 2012

An Evening of Theater In San Jose

One of the things I love most in the world is a night out at the theater. I feel fortunate to have seen so many wonderful performances in my 25 years. My parents have always been supportive and taken me to see shows, and thanks to my work and friends comp tickets, the theater has always been an affordable option.

courtesy of San Jose Rep

On the flip side, however, I understand how expensive a night at the theater can be. At most theaters preview performances allow for discounted tix (for a show still in the dress rehearsal process). Other theaters, such as San Jose Rep, offer an amazing "Pay What You Will Night." As part of their community outreach program, the Rep offers just what they say--pay only what you can afford to see a night of great theater.

courtesy of San Jose Rep

Tonight's show is "The Understudy" by Teresa Rebeck, directed by Amy Glazer. This is a show about life backstage, making it catnip to any theater professional looking for a good laugh. I, for one, cannot wait to see it. And if you are looking for a great double header, you could see the show Friday night and then catch the encore production of "Charlie: An Adventure" in the patron lounge. SJ REAL (That's San Jose Rep Emerging Artists Lab) is sponsoring a "pay what you will" production of this original piece.

courtesy of Red Egg Theater

"Charlie" is a powerful show put on by the ensemble that makes up Red Egg Theater. Spearheaded by the talented Gina Marie Hayes, this company produces "daring and experimental adaptations" of classic stories, as well as new and groundbreaking works. I am happy to say that I designed the costumes for this production (no fun having a blog if I can't shamelessly self-promote on occasion!).

If you are looking for a fun, affordable night out at the theater, consider the Emerging Artists Lab and "Pay What You Will" night at San Jose Rep. Parking in the nearby Safeway Market garage is a flat $5 fee after 6pm, and there is some great food nearby. Check out my personal fav, Pizz'a Chicago, for some delicious deep dish.

courtesy of San Jose MetBlogs

For lighter fare, check out the ever-impressive Philz Coffee, just steps from the box office! Philz believes in brewing the perfect cup that is suited to your tastes. The baristas add the cream and sugar themselves, based on your recommendation. Seriously the best prepared cup I've ever had (Will and I always get the Tesora, cream and lightly sweetened).


Price: Budget
PWYW, split a small pizza, and splurge on a $3 coffee. It will be well worth it, I promise!
The Understudy starts at 8pm Thurs and Fri night (only Thurs is PWYW). "Charlie" performs at 10pm on Fri in the Patron Lounge to the right of the main lobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment