Friday, January 7, 2011

Baking Adventures

There's nothing like waking up on a rainy day, warm and snug in your bed. That is, only when you don't have anywhere to go or anything pressing to do that day.

Today was a day like that for me. I woke up to the sound of steady rain outside my bedroom window. I opened the blinds but didn't even turn on the light. Instead, I lit my lovely smelling candles from IKEA--vanilla and berries--and decided to read by candlelight. I know, it's bad for my eyes, but it was just such a fun thing to do. I went to the kitchen, poured myself a big steaming cup of coffee, cut off a piece of my homemade banana bread, and shuffled back to my warm bed. I curled up with The Moonstone and made a lovely morning of it. Ahh...this is my favorite part of winter back home. And now I can officially say I am glad there is no more snow in London. I'm a rain kind of girl. It's less cold.

I did eventually go out. I spent time cleaning my room, running errands, even popped into Nero for a coffee and continuation of the mysterious disappearance of the moonstone, and got ingredients for...

CUPCAKES!
My wonderful roommates got me the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook for Christmas this year, and I decided to take a stab at their delicious, yet simple, vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. I must say, they were delicious--not the same as getting them from the Hummingbird Bakery on Portobello Road, but much cheaper!

Now I am usually a modest person, but I do have to say I know my way around the kitchen when it comes to baked goods. I thought: Cupcakes? Piece of Cake!

Well...they aren't. First off--buttercream frosting is hard to make! Maybe if i had an upright (and very deep) mixer it would be better. but there was powdered sugar e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. (Sorry roomies--I cleaned it up!) the speed of our hand mixer goes from light speed--ludicrous speed, apparently. I tried a lot by hand. Same with the dough--they have you mix lots of dry ingredients with butter, without other liquid so you can imagine. My lungs are filled with flour and sugar. Buttercream frosting is also hard to spread--and the sprinkles didn't really stick to it.
Oh well. I now know I'd never open a cupcake boutique. I'm going to getter better at making them, though! New Year's Resolution! Let's just hope everyone thinks they taste all right.

Tomorrow: Borough Market with Angela. Expect a post.

xoxo,
Antonia

1 comment:

  1. I agree, California rain is far better than snow; from anywhere. Your cupcakes look d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s.

    ReplyDelete