Sunday, January 30, 2011

I've got Seoul but I'm not a Soldier

Yesterday Lana, Steve, and I went to Seoul for a day trip. Let me tell you--it was one COLD day for outdoor activities!
We went to Gyeongbokgung Palace, which is just gorgeous. And it wasnt that crowded (cold, Sunday). It was the first palace built by the Joseon founder and is centuries old. The palace and grounds are laid out meticulously--there is beautiful geometry and symmetry to the place.
It was also the birthplace of Hangeul (the Korean alphabet) in the 15th century, and was originally invented to help people read Chinese--under the rule of King Sejong.
 Gargoyles
 Ondol Heating
We also went to the National Folk Museum of Korea, which is on the premises. It was great, but we couldn't take pics. After that we went to Insadong, the cultural art market, where I found beautiful paper and journals.
Also, Korea is known for their beautiful ceramics--if they can survive the plane home I am thinking of buying some small stuff.
So the subway station we get out at to get the bus home is Jamsil. And there is Lotte World. I told you about Lotte--they basically own everything, kinda like Disney. So Lotte World is like a huge mall....and it has a theme park. Yeah. Like Disney. Look at how similar!
As I stood in the entrance to it, it had similar music, and it has raccoons instead of mice. And I got that same overwhelming sense of pure, innocent joy by being there. I really really want to go in.....
So things are going very well here. There are small things that throw me. Everything electronic (like the washer, and the door) beeps and boops like a robot. Also, sometimes there are messages over a speaker system that play in the apartment. I have no idea what they are saying--neither do lana and steve. are they announcements? Broadcasts? Who knows.

Just as I read Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, and Jane Austen novels in Britain, I am now inspired to read books about Korea. Here's what I'm reading now:
And a book about the Collection of National Folk Museum of Korea, which I can't find a picture of.

Overall, great trip.
xoxo,
Antonia



No comments:

Post a Comment