Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Unexpected Detours

Well dear readers, I apologize for the delay in blog posting. I realize its been two weeks now, and things have been quite hectic.

This morning I am watching my second sunrise is South Korea.
I know some of you must be thinking "wahhhh?" right about now. Well, I'll tell you: the first week of January was a bit of a bust. Passports, rejections, British consulate. Yeah. I had to leave my lovely home, friends, and family in London and make the long trek back to the states. And I had a lovely week there seeing everyone I love (there maaaay have been a surprise visit, which was difficult to plan to wonderful to do!).

But Seoul was calling, apparently. My friends Lana and Steve have been teaching English in a town outside of the city for over 5 months now. I thought that in my travels I would like to visit them, and I have been fortunate enough to have that now happen (and Lana and Steve are gracious enough to have me stay for 2 1/2 weeks). Even more exciting...next week the 3 of us are taking a whirlwind trip to Japan! Kyoto and Osaka, to be precise. I'm back in California permanently 2 days before I turn 24. And what a year 23 has been. A good one indeed.

So I have only been here for one day but Korea is crazy! For the first time I was seated in an exit row, where I learned that Flight Attendants play favorites. I got free ice cream, it was delicious. I also met a very nice military man stationed in Korea. He and the flight attendants gave me lots of cool advice on things to see and do in Korea.

Got ripped off at the airport with a $200 cab fare and a driver who didn't speak much English. Driving from Incheon to the town where I am staying was crazy--seeing the skyline, the blood red sunset. It was almost blade-runner esque. The lights at night are neon at night and look more like art to me. Lana and Steve were so welcoming, and their apartment is great. It's part of Lotte Castle, which is like their mega brand here. For more info on Korea, check out Steve and Lana's blog.
The view from the apartment.
 Lotte everything!
Sparkly wallpaper!
 The village
Mad Dog "British Pub"
Lotteria Ad Campaign
Home Plus Sells TESCO! Who knew?!
Awesome Monopoly Money.

Today we are off to Korean Costco, maybe pop by their work. Tomorrow I am going to help them teach the kids for British Culture day. This weekend will be the museums in Seoul and a USO trip to the DMZ. so exciting!

 Never did I think that in the course of four months I would be able to visit England, Italy, Korea, and Japan. I had hoped I might be able to but now that I am, it's just been the most amazing experience. Things haven't turned out the way I had hoped, but I am looking forward to a future working back in California, and until then, adventure on! I will be posting on the blog, I promise. And the future posts will probably be a little more eloquent--jet lag after traveling from England to California to South Korea in two weeks has been insane.

xoxo,
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment