Thursday, February 10, 2011

Temples and Pubs

Updating again from Lana's computer, as mine is sadly kaput. I hope I don't loose all my photos. I will add more to this when I get home.

On Tuesday we went to the local Buddhist temple, Bong Sun Sa. It was great to go out to a working temple, one that was not primarily a tourist attraction. It was beautiful, tucked away in the hills not a stone's throw from the king's burial ground we visited last week.
I have discovered that I really love the paintings on the shrines and temples in Korea. The use of color is just breathtaking. It stands out against the winter landscape, and I am sure it blends beautifully with the greens of spring and summer.
The folks there were really nice as well. Decorations were still up from the lunar new year.
One lady invited us to eat with them, but we politely declined. It was much livelier around the grounds than at a western church, but inside it was very calming. My first time inside a Buddhist temple.
Once I am home I will put together more photos, on the blog and on my picassa site. Hopefully my computer isn't broken permanently, and I'll be able to transfer them to my Mac.


Tonight Lana, Steve, and I met up with their other friends, who are English teachers, at Alley Pub for a night out. It was crazy and a lot of fun--I tried Soju, and it did taste like icky vodka. They had interesting snacks too. Some looked like Hula Hoops (but sadly were not). Had a bit of someone else's potato/cheese/chocolate/honey appetizer. It was...interesting. But a great night out.

Xoxo,
Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment