Monday, February 7, 2011

Top 10 Favorite Meals

As my time adventuring come to a close, I thought it might be fun to do some top 10 lists. The first is from my top ten favorite meals/eateries while traveling the world these past four months. If you find yourself in the neck of the woods, stop by! Whether it was the food, the dessert, or just the company, here they are:

10.Chocolate Parfait: Kyoto, Japan
At this, sadly unnamed dessert parlor off of Shijo Street in Kyoto, Lana and I shared one of the most delicious parfaits I have ever had. Chocolate parfait, vanilla bean ice cream, whipped cream, and a giant brownie sticking out of the top. Absolutely delicious and while not traditionally Japanese, a dessert found in both Kyoto and Osaka and very popular.

9. Gnocci at Zoe: Florence, Italy
This cafe was quintessentially European. It was the first place I ate at in Florence while staying with my mother. A cafe americano and a simple potato gnocci with marinara and cheese. Zoe in the Oltrarno.

8. Beans on Toast, Sheringham, England
We all have that dish our parents, aunts, or grandparents make that is never the same anywhere else. For me, one of those things is beans and cheese on toast, made my grandfather.

7. Cream Tea, V&A Museum, London, England
When Will visited, we sampled a lot of cream teas. Liberty, Cambridge, so on. But the Victoria and Albert Museum does this British classic the best.

6. Hot Chocolate, Cafe Rivoire, Florence, Italy
Fabbrica di Cioccolata Rivoire is still home to the best hot chocolate I have ever had. My mother has taken me there twice--once when I was six and once at twenty-three. I cannot wait to go back there again!


5. Shabu Shabu, Seoul, South Korea
Last night Lana and Steve took me to a Shabu Shabu restaurant in their town in Korea. It was so much fun! A Japanese dish but popular here as well, you cook the veggies and the meat at the table, then make a porridge from the broth and rice afterwards. The place we went also had delicious Vietnamese Spring Rolls, and we drank Makkoli.

4. Thanksgiving Dinner, London, England
A classic dinner every year, this year I was fortunate enough to have 2! Both with my cousins in Kilburn and my lovely London flatmates, this Thanksgiving was both new and traditional at the same time. I skyped with Kim while cooking, I streamed the parade live (though at night). There was pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie. And friends and family, of course.

3. Choco Cro St. Marc, Kyoto, Japan
...Do I really have to say any more? Choco Cro! This place was amazing and I've talked about it often. Crispy yet soft croissants, delicious milk chocolate, good coffee (for Japan, that is). I will dream about this place.

2. Holy Cow, Kilburn, London, England
A recommendation from my roommates, this place turned out to be the best Indian food in London. Only a takeaway location, Holy Cow was both delicious and a good price!

1. Hummingbird Bakery, London, England
Of course, this place takes the cake. Cupcake, that is. Hummingbird Bakery was my all time favorite place to eat on my travels. So much so, that I tried recreating their delicious recipes, both savory and sweet, in my own kitchen. Survey says they turned out pretty well as well. If there is one thing I am happy to be able to bring home from my foodie travels, it's a nice Hummingbird Cupcake and a spot of tea.

xoxo,
Antonia

1 comment:

  1. I'm Glad you made so many happy food memories while in London xx

    Miss you -I'm pretty sure you will always be the best flatmate i've ever had!!!

    x
    Angela

    ReplyDelete