Sunday, October 31, 2010

Firenze: A lesson in Defensive Walking

First off, let me wish those of you in tech a very easy weekend, those of you in light hang a very easy weekend, and to the rest of you: Happy Halloween!

So yesterday I made it to Italy without much difficulty. I mean, except for Bank of America, which is determined to make banking difficult, contrary to their slogan. Probably the best thing about Italy is that I am here and staying with my mom for the next two weeks! It has been 2 weeks since i have seen her, 2 months since I have lived with her, and 17 years since we have been in Florence together.



The last time I was here in Firenze I was in kindergarten. I don't remember much from the trip but some flashes really stand out. It was my first taste of international travel (i actually think i was a better traveler then than i am now) and probably part of the reason i am here on this adventure today. So thank you, Mom!

Anyway, we are staying in a beautiful apartment in a building that is a converted palace. yeah. palace. it is wonderful and i think the best part is the entrance, which is between floor 1 and floor 2. so basically, she lives on floor 1.5...it's like being john malkovich.





we are in the Oltrarno, which is across from the centre of the city. The Duomo is here, the Bell Tower, the Uffizi, and so many more museums dedicated to the centuries of fabulous art and culture.





Um...and did i mention how delicious the food is? Espresso for breakfast at the apartment, my mom goes out and gets scrumptious pastries, and the past two lunches have been so great. gnocci, pizza, you name it, they got it. the smells of the foods and baked goods waft through the small streets as you look at the gorgeous designer boutiques and the traditional italian leather shops (more to come on bags, boots, and behind-the-scenes later!)

speaking of walking--here it's a bit of a nightmare. in america we are taught defensive driving, but places like italy are where you learn defensive walking. people push, they stand close in line, if you want to get somewhere, you have to shove your way through. and when there are umbrellas involved? oh boy. watch your eyes. thankfully this city allows sunglasses a lot more than london.

this week we have the museums booked for tours but I think my favorite part of the trip so far has been stopping at this amazing pasticceria called Fabbrica di Cioccolata Rivoire. My mom and i stopped to have a hot cocoa--the BEST hot cocoa in the world. It's like liquid chocolate with amazing whipped cream on top--(think like "Chocolate" downtown, times twenty).



The last time i had it i was 6 years old. It's good to be back.

-Antonia

PS Here's a link to the entire Italy album so far. For the designers out there, I've attached interesting design details that have struck my eye (Edgar, this one's for you!)

Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment