Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Short Review: The National Gallery (and Liberty)

So up until now I haven't been posting reviews of my museum visits in London. I have been to a lot of them before, but the other day I finally visited The National Gallery at Trafalgar Square. I have always found myself more interested in artifacts than paintings, so my time has been devoted to the British Museum and the V&A.
But after so many years of traveling to London, I thought it was time to expand my horizons. The National Gallery is home to so many great works of art, from the medieval era up till the present, from all over the world. After seeing so much medieval and renaissance work in Florence, I found myself gravitating towards the more contemporary works.

There are rooms devoted to Renoir, Degas, Seurat, Van Gogh and their contemporaries.

This Degas is different from his more "classic" ballerinas, but it is quite fun. The color palette is great up close--Miss Lala at Cirque Fernando, 1879.

For you costumers out there, check out this beautiful work by Gustav Klimt--not only did he paint Hermine Gallia, but he also designed the dress she is wearing in the painting.

I did wander through the older galleries (by the way, the lighting and design of the rooms is so beautiful and diverse) and saw the famous work by Van Eyck (again, for costumers):
The detail of this painting is deceiving--I always thought it was a huge canvas--it's miniscule!

Finally, I was surprised how much I liked these paintings by Lucas Cranach the Elder, from 1506. Though the paintings of these saints are both somber and represent great trials, the colors and textures of their costumes are soooo beautiful and vibrant.
 
Saints Genevieve, Apollonia, Christina, and Ottilia. 

I can't wait to go back--and to visit the National Portrait Gallery to see the work of Hans Holbein the Younger (from the Tudor court). 

After my stop at the NG, I walked the retail shopper's paradise from Picadilly Circus up to Oxford Circus to meet up with Fran and Justin at Liberty. They are an amazing department store on the corner of Carnaby Street. They are known as Liberty of London in america, and they make the most amazing printed fabric in cottons and silks.
Sooo expensive though. They also sell designer clothing and accessories, as well as stuff for the home--like a really really upscale "Stripe." 
They just celebrated their 135th birthday. Look at how amazingly quaint this place looks--and the window displays for christmas are spectacular. Soooo creative and beautiful. 

Tomorrow I hope to finally make it to the East End and check out the trendy boutiques and markets. Been feeling a bit homesick lately--maybe it's the fact I can see my breath outside all day because its so cold, maybe it's because I miss you all. 

xoxo,
Antonia



No comments:

Post a Comment